Earthquake Resistant Design (CE-7005)
Introduction to engineering seismology, Geological and tectonic features of India, Origin and propagation of seismic waves, Earthquake measurement parameters, Characteristics of earthquake and its quantification- Magnitude and Intensity scales, Seismic instruments. Seismic zoning map of India.
Response history and strong motion characteristics. Response Spectrum- elastic and inelastic response spectra, tripartite (D-V-A) response spectrum, use of response spectrum in earthquake resistant design.Computation of seismic forces in multi-storeyed buildings - using procedures as per codal provisions.
Structural configuration for earthquake resistant design, Concept of plan irregularities and vertical irregularities, Soft storey, Torsion in buildings. Design provisions for these in IS-1893. Effect of infill masonry walls on frames, modeling concepts of infill masonry walls.Behaviour of masonry buildings during earthquakes, failure patterns, strength of masonry in shear and flexure, Slenderness concept of masonry walls,
Seismic design philosophy,Load combinations, Ductility and energy absorption in buildings.confinement of concrete for ductility, design of columns and beams for ductility, ductile detailing provisions as per IS-1893. Lateral load resisting structural systems.
Introduction, concept and types of seismic control systems as active, passive and semi-active systems. Requirements of efficient earthquake resistant structural system, damping devices, base isolation systems. Retrofitting of structures
- Unit 1
- Unit 2
- Unit 3
- Unit 4
- Unit 5
1. Chopra Anil Kumar, Dynamics of Structures - Theory and Application to Earthquake Engineering, Pearson Education.
2. HosurVinod, Earthquake Resistant Design of Building Structures, Wiley (India).
3. Duggal, S. K., Earthquake Resistant Design of Structures, Oxford University Press.
4. AgarwalPankaj, Shrikande Manish, Earthquake resistant design of structures, Prentice Hall of India, New Delhi India.
5. Pauley & Priestly, Seismic design of reinforced concrete and masonry buildings, John Wiley & Sons.
6. Stratta.J. L, Manual of Seismic Design, Prentice-Hall India Pvt Ltd.
7. Kramer.S. L., Geotechnical Earthquake Engineering, Prentice-Hall India Pvt Ltd.
8. All relevant IS codes.
You May Also Like
- CE-7001 - Advance Structural Design-I [RCC]
- CE-7002 - Structural Design & Drawing–II [Steel]
- CE-7003 - Modern Construction Technique & Equipment
- CE-7004 - Pavement Design
- CE-7004 - Marine Construction
- CE-7004 - Air and Noise Pollution Control
- CE-7004 - Cost-Effective & Eco-Friendly Construction
- CE-7005 - Infrastructure Engineering
- CE-7005 - Urban & Town Planning
- CE-7005 - Life Cycle Costing of Structures